Product: NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications 2.3
General Availability Date: June 17, 2011
EMC NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications delivers a unified solution for protection of Microsoft Server applications. It enables EMC NetWorker to leverage Microsoft’s Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) feature to create and manage consistent point-in-time snapshot data copies for quick recovery and off-host backup. NetWorker users can capture more frequent recovery points on disk and recover information in a fraction of the time it takes to restore from a tape, lessening the impact of data protection operations on production servers.
EMC NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications delivers:
|Low-impact backups||Leverage instant low-impact snaps that can be used for recovery and off-host backups.|
|Business application protection||Improve backup and recovery for Microsoft Windows, Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Data Protection Manager, and Active Directory.|
|Backup and operational recovery||Complete backup and recovery in minutes using NetWorker to manage VSS snapshot scheduling, creation, and restore.|
|Snap management||Perform easy shadow copy scheduling, management, and restoration within EMC NetWorker Management Console.|
|Unified recovery||Leverage a single common recovery user interface for all supported Microsoft server applications.|
|EMC VSS hardware provider support||Integrate with the EMC VSS provider to enable creation and transport of snapshots on EMC CLARiiON, EMC Symmetrix, and EMC Celerra hardware.|
|Proxy-host backup||Enable any Microsoft Windows SAN-based host to access back up and recover VSS snapshots.|
New Feature Summary
The NMM 2.3 Module Project was focused on adding support for critical applications and OS’s as well as providing Dedicated Storage Node support and improving the quality of NMM and reducing Customer Escalations.
· Added support for Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Disaster Recovery, Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010.
· Qualifications for SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2
· Qualifications of SharePoint Server 2007, Active Directory Granular and Hyper-V (No CSV) on Windows Server 2008 R2
· Provide Storage Node support (Dedicated and standard Storage Node)
· Provide Client-side IO Optimization for Data Domain
· Provide pre/post scripting capabilities
· Drop SharePoint granular recovery within NMM, but leverage Kroll OnTrack PowerControls (3rd party product) to provide this functionality
· Provide RM Security vulnerability fix
· Many bug fixes and customer escalations are incorporated in this release.
· Improved documentation by refreshing all documents with special effort to complete detailed review of all documentation.
For full details on fixes and enhancements in this release, please see the release notes on Powerlink.